Tuesday, October 22, 2019

West Vermont (S36O) - Day 1

After my last quick tour through New Hampshire I wanted to rest a little bit from constant climbing and go somewhere flat. So I picked Vermont - the state that is nearly completely covered by hills and mountains. Right...

Actually, I planned my trip through the flattest part of Vermont - the western parts of Addison and Rutland counties, which is a place where Green Mountains end and a wide valley of Poultney River and Lake Champlain begins. Still, as it turned out, some hills were unavoidable but it was nothing, compared to what you would normally find in the other parts of the state.
 
I started my tour at a Park & Ride in Waltham, just south of Vergennes, VT. It was a pretty long drive north from Boston so I started riding quite late, at 11:45am. The day was cloudy and I was a bit worried it would rain a lot, but the little rain I got on the way, stopped before I even got to Waltham.
It all started at Route 66. Not that famous one, though...
 
The weather in late October can be somewhat unpredictable, so that adds more complexity to planning of any longer bicycle ride. Despite a cloudy day, it wasn't actually that cold (53F or 12C) but I quickly found out that I either overheat on climbs or get cold from wind chill on descents. Seems like no matter what you do, it's never right.
I think I matched the environment quite well.

I sort of regretted that I didn't have time to make this ride happen a bit earlier in the season. Clearly, foliage was past its peak colors but there were still plenty of red, yellow and orange hues around.
Because it was only a quick, sub-36hrs trip, I didn't need to pack much, yet at the same time, colder weather required me to bring some extra clothes. I managed to fit everything in the handlebar bag and two fork-leg-mounted sacks. Also, for the first time, I packed a mini cooking set with alcohol stove. I figured that since the night is going to be cold, it would be nice to make a simple hot breakfast next morning.
I kept rolling through the countryside, passing by numerous farms on the way, counting different types of cows I encountered and photographing grain silos.
Farms. Farms everywhere...


Twin towers of Vermont.


Finally, I arrived in East Poultney, quickly resupplied at the local store and headed to Analog Cycles, where I arranged earlier to stay for the night. I covered 60mi (95km) on day 1, which normally wouldn't be that much, but since I started late, I arrived at my campsite after sunset. Considering shorter days in late October, I think the next time I would rather pick a shorter route and start from a Park & Ride location closer to my final destination.
General Store, East Poultney, VT.

I admit, I have never camped out that late in the season. I expected air temperature to drop rapidly at night so I had to apply all common sense to survive. That included:
  1. putting all clothes on, including the woolen hat,
  2. placing all leftover clothes inside the sleeping bag to keep them warm through the night,
  3. doing the same with phone and all batteries to protect them from cold.
It worked. I survived and all electronics made it as well, even though temperature at 7am was only 30F (-1C). However, the next time I would seriously have to consider a better sleeping bag. The one I had was technically rated to 35F but let's just say it was barely adequate at 30F. Certainly, I wasn't cozy warm during the morning hours.

Continue to Day 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment