Friday, September 26, 2014

It's Friday and a time to STOP what you're doing

It's Friday finally and that makes it a perfect day to STOP working and go home. It's also a good day to take a look back at some things that happened recently.
 
A cyclist killed a woman in Manhattan a few days ago and I feel like the whole East Coast talks about it. Or at least New England. Meanwhile, nearly 3000 people die on U.S. roads every month (!) and no one gives the shit. That's like a 9/11 attack on U.S. soil every month. But we don't care because those are "accidents", which would indicate that they just... oops... happened and drivers were not at fault. Which doesn't make it news anymore, unlike a single cyclists training for Tour de Central Park and riding his two-wheeler way too fast. Clearly, it would be better for all of us if this kind of pathetic media reporting STOPPED right now. Just because it's Friday. And because death by bicycle is an exemption, while death by car seems to be the rule, so why don't we focus on what really matters, shall we?
 
On top of that we are now getting a bunch of local politicians speaking on the topic, even if they have no idea what they are talking about. Typical. So now you can hear that cyclists often disobey the speed limit by "moving sometimes at 40 miles an hour". Makes me wonder where I can buy a bike that goes that fast. I can only accelerate my (t)rusty Schwinn to about 15mph at best. But if you happen to ride your bike at 40mph, please STOP. No, wait. If you're a politician and like to talk about things that you have no idea about, such as riding a bicycle in the city, even though the last time you rode one was when you were 5, STOP! It's Friday after all...
 
Enough of this nonsense. It's weekend and a time to finally clean up my car even though I haven't used it in weeks. I hope I remember how it looks like. The weather has been perfect this month so I didn't find a single excuse not to bike to work. My Toyota must feel a bit abandoned now.
 
Anyway, the fall officially arrived. The best time to take a bike ride is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment