Thursday, March 28, 2019

Searching for spring

I don't know about you, but I very much welcome the fact that the second half of March this year doesn't feel much like winter anymore. As I mentioned before, March isn't my favorite month. Typically, winter just drags for too long in March and excitement over a few warmer days here and there adds to the general impatience of spring time to come.
Last Sunday was one of those days - sunny and warm, it really felt like spring. Only a few remaining patches of ice and snow reminded me of the past season, soon to end.

I decided to do a quick recon in my neighborhood and see if spring was really on the way. Apparently, it's still too early for any signs of new leaves on trees or bushes but you can certainly hear more birds out there - a sign that nature is about to wake up from the long winter hibernation.
One thing that quickly reminded me of the snowy winter days was water. Lots of water. The entire area along Sudbury River was heavily flooded with trees sticking out like in a wooden breakwater.
 
It's clearly the wet winter after-season. Despite a full week of sun and very mild temperatures, not all snow is gone, not all ice is melted and trails are still soggy and muddy. It will probably take another week or two to for a real spring to arrive.
Nevertheless, it's great to have more sunlight available in the late afternoon. Time for some longer rides - into the unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment