Monday, October 4, 2021

Exploring Vermont Rail Trails - Day 1 (of 4)

It's the fall season of 2021 and all I know that I need a break. Just a few days on my own, away from family (sorry!), my usual surroundings and especially, from my day job. Since in these weird (post)pandemic times nothing is certain anymore, when an opportunity came, I grabbed it quickly and decided - I'm packing up my bike and going to Vermont.

End of September is typically quite decent weather-wise here in New England and after checking forecast I found out it was supposed to be still warm so no heavy clothing was required. Unfortunately, the forecast also mentioned some heavy rain coming up in a couple of days. Not ideal.

Day 1 (St Johnsbury - Newton, 77km or 48mi)

Early morning I put everything in my car and drove north to St Johnsbury, VT. Getting close to White Mountains the fog on highway was so heavy I couldn't see anything a half a mile ahead. I started to rain. "Just great" - I thought - "If the whole day is going to be like this, it doesn't seem like a good start". Fortunately, once I cross the mountain range weather improved quite a bit, rain stopped and sun started peeking through a gap in clouds.

I arrived at around 10am, unpacked and started pedaling north. The great thing about Vermont is that even around larger towns it doesn't take long to find an unpaved road. It was humid, cloudy and cool (~64F/18C). That's actually not a bad weather for cycling (as long as it doesn't rain). I hate riding in full sun anyway.


Soon I realized that I had a pretty good pace, which may have been because there wasn't that much to see on the way so I didn't stop for pictures too often. I was rolling through a cattle country.

Actually, to be honest, there were things to see. Unlike in Massachusetts, in Vermont fall seemed to be in full swing already. Lots of trees were wearing yellow and red outfits.
After several climbs and some very rewarding downhills, I first reached Barton and then my final destination for the day - Newport. I arrived early, at 2:45pm. There was still plenty of daylight left, so I set up my camp at Prouty Beach Campground, took a shower and went to Newport Natural Market to get something to eat. I found out they had some really nice beer for sale as well (Chimay!) but only in 4-packs. I guess that's a benefit of travelling with someone - you can share a 4-pack. I had to pass on that, otherwise I probably wouldn't be in condition to bike the next day. Four heavy Belgians is a bit too much in one setting.
Then I decided to bike a bit on Newport Bikepath north, along the eastern edge of Lake Memprhemagog. Arriving back at the campground I cooked dinner, watched some really nice sunset and then went to bed. Unfortunately, while the test sites are beautifully located right at the edge of the lake, they are also not sheltered in any way from wind. There was a pretty strong wind coming in from the lake and with my tent flapping and making noises, it was very difficult to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment