This year is close to an end and 2018 is just around the corner. I don't know about you, but here are just a few things I wish happen in 2018:
- This winter ends in March, not April.
- I go for a week-long bike tour.
- Congestion pricing is introduced in Boston Metro Area.
- Newbury St and Hanover St in Boston are permanently closed to private vehicles and become bike+ped only zones.
- There is a dedicated bus lane on Mass Ave all the way from Arlington to Harvard Square.
- Parking minimums are dropped in Boston. Also, parking maximums are now in place.
- It costs now $200/y to get a resident parking permit in downtown Boston. Second car permit costs $500. Third and more cars per household are not allowed.
- No school drop-off by car is allowed anymore.
- All mandatory helmet laws are lifted.
- Shimano introduces a road groupset for the "unwashed masses" with 44/28T crankset and a 11-32T cassette. Also available in polished sliver finish.
- Jagwire makes cable+housing kits that are actually designed for road bikes with disc brakes, so I don't have to buy two of them because the front cable is too short to reach brake caliper.
- Senate passes a bill requiring all bicycle headlights used within the city limits to have horizontal beam cutoff to avoid blinding other road users. Also, strobe headlights are banned. This is modeled after German StVZO.
- Elon Musk admits his tunneling idea was a brain fart and starts building a fleet of fast electric streetcars, buses and high-speed trains.
- Lobbying, aka "legal bribing" becomes illegal in United States and is ruthlessly enforced with huge fines and imprisonment.
- The president and vice-president resign and move to Florida to play golf full-time.
Wishing you all Merry Christmas and a Bikey New Year!
May Yehuda brings you lots of presents this year!