Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Sidewalk!

Sidewalk! (Comic from YehudaMoon.com)

This is what I heard yesterday - "Sidewalk!". I was on my way home when a passing driver yelled something through his car's window. I only understood one word - "sidewalk" and I am not sure what he meant by this since there are no sidewalks on good portion of Middlesex Turnpike in Burligton. And there wasn't one in the place where he was passing my bike. Even if there was a sidewalk available, I wouldn't use it. I am not a pedestrian while I ride my bike after all. I am a "vehicle".

I noticed this long time ago. People feel being in rush when they drive their cars. I feel the same. Cars make us feel like we are losing time when we have to drive slowly behind a much slower vehicle and when we have to pass a bicycle by changing lanes. Even though it takes only a few seconds. Bicycles on the other hand, relax us. I never feel like I am being late when riding my bike, I never feel rushed. I simply know that it takes a certain amount of time to get to my destination and even if I arrive 15 minutes later, it doesn't matter. But somehow, losing 15 minutes when driving a car feels unacceptable. Why?

P.S. I didn't have a chance to follow Yehuda's example and throw away driver's car key. Not sure I would be happy doing it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment